Friday, February 12, 2010

Preface

For so long I have tried to find a good excuse to start a blog. I have a multitude of interests and that makes it quite difficult to choose just one topic to limit myself. Organic gardening, painting, crocheting, sewing...you name it, I've probably done it or at least tried it.

After years of heartache and sacrifice, I am starting my life from scratch. Just me, my daughter, and a love of baking. Having no career, as I have been a homemaker for 5 years, I recently began attending a local cosmetology school. Not my passion, but a quick education for a better future. It pains me daily to stare into my mother's kitchen knowing that it will be years before I can pay my way through culinary school...

This is where my adventures begin...

A few weeks ago, I found myself in a pile of depression on the sofa flipping through stations only to land on our local public broadcasting station. Who to my wandering eyes would appear but Julia Child herself. Cheesy? Yes. True? Definitely!

(Hmm...this is starting to sound like a movie I saw recently.)

So, immediately motivation was roused within me and I decided to go straight to the library, pull out that old dusty card, and find some wonderful French cuisine to immerse myself in.

One huge book later, I realized...French food sounds absolutely undesirable and I will NOT find myself eating, much less THINKING of aspic. Yet one little ingredient has stuck with me to this day: puff pastry. That tender, fragile layering of thin pastry sheets that melt in your mouth the instant it hits your tongue.

I jump in the car heading straight for the supermarket frozen food aisle and smile as a glorious light from heaven shines down upon the greatest creation...frozen puff pastry.

No comments:

Post a Comment